ML - Elevator Speech
(Open only to members in grades 6-9 who have affiliated middle level division.)
This event recognizes FBLA members who demonstrate qualities of business leadership by presenting a well-organized, logical, and quick presentation.
The topic for the 30-second speech will be published on the national website and in the State Adviser Briefings.
Only members enrolled in grades 6 through 9 and affiliated middle level division as of December 15 of the current school year are eligible for this event.
Participants must have paid state and national dues postmarked by December 15 of the current school year.
District Number of participants governed by local FBLA District policy.
State Each district may be represented by participant(s) based on the Florida FBLA scaled quota system found in the Fact Finder.
National See the national Chapter Management Handbook--latest edition.
District Each district determines its own procedures for event registration.
State When it has been determined that a student will represent the district at state competition, the student's local adviser must send the appropriate entry form to the state adviser by first-class mail. The entry form and the required postmark deadline are included in the SLC registration packet.
National One individual from Florida will advance to the National Conference.
• Participants must be selected in accordance with the regulations of the FBLA district and state chapters and the national association.
• Participants must not have placed 1st in this event at a previous SLC or competed in this event at the National Conference.
• Participants failing to report on time may be disqualified.
• Participants must adhere to the dress code established by the Board of Directors or they will not be permitted to participate in the competitive event.
• A lectern may be available. No microphone will be used.
• Participants will be divided into preliminary groups.
• Students must come prepared to leave at least one visual (3 copies) with the judges that they prepared (flyer, brochure, etc.) about FBLA Middle Level, and a business card.
• Speech may be no longer than 30 seconds in length.
• Judges will role-play with the member and can ask up to two questions for student response after the competitor has finished the speech.
• A timekeeper will stand at 15 seconds and again at 30 seconds.
• All performances are open to conference attendees except performing participants of this event.
If necessary, finalists will be assigned times at random for their final performance. All other procedures as outlined in the preliminary round will be followed for the final round.
Participants' speeches will be evaluated by a panel of judges. All decisions of the judges are final.
District The number of awards presented at the District Leadership Conference is determined by local FBLA District policy.
State State awards for the top five places are presented at the State Leadership Conference.
National The number of awards presented at the National Leadership Conference is determined by judges and/or number of entries. The maximum number will be two.