ML - PUBLIC SPEAKING
(Open only to members in grades 6-9 who have affiliated middle level division.)
This event recognizes FBLA members who demonstrate qualities of business leadership by presenting a well-organized, logical, and substantial speech.
The four-minute speech must be of a business nature and must be developed from one or more of the nine FBLA-PBL goals.
Only members enrolled in grades 6 through 9 and affiliated middle level division as of December 15 of the current school year are eligible for this event.
Participants must have paid state and national dues postmarked by December 15 of the current school year.
District Number of participants governed by local FBLA District policy.
State Each district may be represented by participant(s) based on the Florida FBLA scaled quota system found in the Fact Finder.
National This is a state event only.
District Each district determines its own procedures for event registration.
State When it has been determined that a student will represent the district at state competition, the student's local adviser must send the appropriate entry form to the state adviser by first-class mail. The entry form and the required postmark deadline are included in the SLC registration packet.
• Participants must be selected in accordance with the regulations of the FBLA district and state chapters and the national association.
• Participants must not have placed 1st or 2nd in this event at a previous SLC.
• Participants failing to report on time may be disqualified.
• Participants must adhere to the dress code established by the Board of Directors or they will not be permitted to participate in the competitive event.
• Each participant's speech must be the result of his/her own efforts and originality, must be of a business nature, and must be developed from one or more of the nine FBLA-PBL goals. Documented facts and quotes may be secured from any source. The speeches must be prepared by student members, not advisers. Local advisers should serve as consultants to ensure that the speeches are well organized, contain substantiated statements, and are written in a business style.
• A lectern may be available. No microphone will be used.
• When delivering the speech, the participant may use notes or note cards.
• No visual aids may be used.
• Participants will be divided into preliminary groups.
• At the time of the performance, the event administrator will introduce each participant by name only. Each speech should be four (4) minutes in length. A timekeeper will stand at three (3) minutes. When the speaker is finished, the time used by the participant will be recorded, noting a deduction of five (5) points for any time under 3:31 or over 4:29.
• All performances are open to conference attendees except performing participants of this event.
If necessary, finalists will be assigned times at random for their final performance. All other procedures as outlined in the preliminary round will be followed for the final round.
Participants' speeches will be evaluated by a panel of judges. All decisions of the judges are final.
District The number of awards presented at the District Leadership Conference is determined by local FBLA District policy.
State State awards for the top five places are presented at the State Leadership Conference.